Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Nobody Knows Me Like You Do

“O Lord, You have searched me and know me.” – Psalm 139:1

I’m in love with my dermatologist. No, not in the romantic way that sentence might imply, but there is something different about her. She listens. She knows just what to say to make my heart sing, too. Words like “You know your body better than anyone.” Oh, halleluiah, FINALLY someone in the medical profession who recognizes that fact!

If there is one thing I’ve learned in my short time with chronic inflammatory diseases (just prior to my RA diagnosis, I was diagnosed with rosacea), it is that there is no “one size fits all” approach to them. My diseases may have the same general properties as other cases, but ultimately, they are unique to me. My symptoms, my prognosis, my treatments, and even my body’s response to treatments will be different than yours. Therefore, I have to “own” my healthcare. What works for you may or may not work for me, and even recommendations from my doctor have to be carefully examined and evaluated based upon what I know about ME.

I have had several incidents recently that made this truth even more apparent to me. First, I had a doctor prescribe a medication I was allergic to. It was in my chart, but was overlooked. She didn’t really know me. Then a different doctor gave me a drug that caused an unexpected reaction. My GP wasn’t surprised, as he remembered I had not reacted well to it sometime in the past. Once again, the prescribing doctor just didn’t really know me. My last straw was when I went to a doctor about these drug reactions and he assessed the situation based only upon what he saw that day, when I was still experiencing adverse side effects, and prescribed yet another medication. After much discussion with family and friends in the medical profession, who interact with me on a regular (if not daily) basis, the universal conclusion was once again that if the doctor really knew me, his assessment and treatment advice would have been completely different. I listened to “my gut” and chose not to take the drug. I have never been happier with my decision. And to have that decision affirmed by my dermatologist, with whom I discussed the situation, was icing on the cake.

But what of this “I know myself better than anyone” concept? Is it valid in all situations? My dermatologist was quick to point out that not everyone takes the time to really educate themselves about their situation, so some people come up with ideas that make no medical sense whatsoever. If they followed only their own concept of what was best for them, they would make their situation worse than ever.

Hmmm … this is sounding familiar to me, but in a different context. I can’t count how many times I have messed up my life by doing what I thought was right in my own eyes, only to find out I was very, very wrong. I have also stepped into situations that were extremely damaging, based on the bad advice of someone else. So if I can’t wholeheartedly trust others who don’t really know me and I can’t trust myself - because even with my innate knowledge of me, it’s not enough to base all my decisions on – whom can I trust?

I have always loved Psalm 139, which says in verse 14, “I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” It goes on to describe how God watches as we are formed in the womb and even before we are born, He plans our days. In verse 1, it says, “Oh Lord, You have searched me and known me.” Yes, HE knows me! And how well? One translation of a verse in this Psalm reads, “Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!” and another verse describes how He even knows how many individual hairs are on our heads. WOW. Only God knows all of our complexities - every tiny detail - that make each of us completely one-of-a-kind.

What great comfort it is to know that when we reach the end of ourselves, God is there. We do not have all the answers, nor do doctors or well-meaning friends, but He does. He is our creator! There is no single detail He does not know about us, body or soul. And God cares about us. Jeremiah 31:3 says, “I (the Lord) have loved you with an everlasting love. I have drawn you with loving-kindness.” It is no wonder then, that He instructs us over and over again in His Word to trust Him, to not fear, and to cast all of our cares upon Him. God is there and HE knows us inside and out. As we seek to know Him, we begin to recognize His voice; and as we seek His will, then the answers are revealed. Only then – when we recognize His will for our lives – are we able to say, “I know what is good for me,” for no one knows us better than He.
Whom do you trust, for your health and for your life? Do you know the One who knows you best?

Nobody Knows Me Like You Do originally appeared on Spring Sight blog, by Linda W. Perkins.  Get even more encouragement by following me on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter.

Subscribe to Spring Sight via e-mail
Subscribe to Spring Sight by Email Your privacy is very important. Your email address will not be shared with any 3rd parties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment