Monday, September 14, 2015

Healer of My Soul


“Heal me, LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.” – Jeremiah 17:14 (NIV)

It’s a beautiful day outside. The sunshine is filtering through my window, brightening up my breakfast room with its soft light; and if I open the kitchen door, I can feel a cool breeze dancing across my cheeks.

After a long, hot summer when even the well-watered plants on my back porch wilted under what seemed like never-ending scorching heat, I’m ready for days like this.

Well, kind of. Sorta. Ok, I’m ready for weather like this, but not days like this. Why? Because on this glorious sunshiny day, I’m stuck inside, on the couch, nestled up to a box of tissues, sucking on throat lozenges … sick.

Unlike some illnesses that come on suddenly, like a bomb has just dropped, I got fair warning on this one. It’s one of the mixed blessings and curses of having RA. The moment my immune system notices even the smallest change, it kicks into overdrive, draining me of all energy and delivering a not-so-nice package of “malaise” onto my body’s proverbial doorstep. So while my upper respiratory infection didn’t fully express itself until Saturday, I was well into feeling cruddy at least a day or two before. So when I go to the doctor today, I will be able to say in all truthfulness, that I have been “sick” for about five days now.

The problem with upper respiratory infections – aka “colds” – is that there really is no “cure” for them. Throat lozenges, decongestants, antihistamines and cough syrup are great for symptom relief, but that’s about it.
My outer symptoms may go away, but the disease will still be lurking under the surface. 
Even antibiotics, while curing subsequent bacterial infections, are useless against the original virus that caused the illness to begin with. It just has to run its course. So today, even though a very competent doctor will examine me and will no doubt make me feel better with the medicines she prescribes, she will not be able to actually heal me.

I find it interesting that in the Bible, when Jeremiah is crying out to the Lord, he says, “Oh Lord, if you heal me, I will truly be healed…” (Jer. 17:14a NLT). The same verse in another translation reads, “You alone can heal me…” Clearly, Jeremiah knows something we often forget: Complete healing comes only from the Lord.
Medicine may or may not heal our bodies, but we are never truly healed until God has healed our souls.
Having an incurable illness – whether it’s as minor as a cold or as serious as an autoimmune disease like RA – can be both miserable and frustrating. No one likes to be told there’s no way to be made completely well.

But just because there’s no cure doesn’t mean there’s no hope.

Just like I know that the bad cold I’m suffering from right now won’t last forever, the Bible is clear that one day, God will wipe all tears from our eyes and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. (Revelation 21:4 CEV) We have that as our promise, when we turn our lives over to Him.

Better yet, when we go to God, we know we can find comfort that transcends our bodily pain. Philippians 4:6-7 says when we stop worrying, and start praying, telling God our needs and trusting Him for His answers, then we will receive the peace that passes all understanding. And we do not need to wait until some undefined time in the future to receive it. It is available to us today.

Even in the midst of physical pain or discomfort, we can find healing for our souls. And then, only then, will we find the ability to praise Him in all circumstances.

It is a beautiful day outside. The sunshine is filtering through my window, brightening up my breakfast room with its soft light; and even while sitting on my couch, nestled up to my box of tissues, I can feel the soft touch of the Holy Spirit dancing across my heart, filling me with peace and joy. My body may be sick, but it is well with my soul.

How do you feel today? Is your body sick or well? How is your soul? May you find true healing in the Lord.

Click here to listen to John Michael Talbot’s song “Healer of My Soul.” 

Healer of My Soul originally appeared on Spring Sight blog, by Linda W. Perkins. Click here for more and to get posts delivered to you via email. Get even more encouragement by following me on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter

Subscribe to Spring Sight via e-mail
Subscribe to Spring Sight by Email Your privacy is very important. Your email address will not be shared with any 3rd parties. 



Please visit me and other Christian bloggers Grace Esedeke on #EncourageMeLinkup, Crystal Storms on #IntentionalTuesday, Kelly Balarie on #RaRaLinkUp, and Holly Barrett on Testimony Tuesday.

Also make sure to come back to Spring Sight next week for a series of blogs about Rheumatoid Arthritis, as I join other RA bloggers in the first annual #RABlog Week.

#RABlog Week




4 comments:

  1. This got me: "Medicine may or may not heal our bodies, but we are never truly healed until God has healed our souls."
    I remember a certain time as a teenager, I was very sick, the nurse at the hospital told me exactly those words while she was attending to me. I didn't really understand it then. But it changed me.
    Only God has the power to completely heal- our souls not just the physical bodies..
    Thanks Linda for joining us at #EncourageMeLinkup glad to have you around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting how God spoke those words to both of us, at different times and on opposite sides of the world! Yes, it is true. My mother was recently deathly ill, but she turned it completely over to God and had a peace I had never seen before. Miraculously, with the doctors only giving her a day or two left to live, she made a complete turnaround. Today, she is like a new person - both inside and out. Praise God!

      Delete
  2. Love this-- "My body may be sick, but its well with my soul." So sorry you have been sick but I can see that God is doing a work in and through you! My kids have been sick for about a month now. I have 5 so once one gets something it goes through everyone. I hate seeing them sick but I am so thankful that they don't have life threatening illnesses and that sick or well God is so good to us. It makes me look forward to heaven though when any of us our sick, when all will be made right and we will never know sickness again!! Linking up with you at #encouragemelinkup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five kids - wow. Yes, how the little "bugs" of illness must fly around your home! That's when they are really hard to eradicate. Your patience and trust in the Lord must be humongous by now. :-) Be well, and thanks for visiting!

      Delete