Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Does Your Life Reflect Mardi Gras or Ash Wednesday?

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit in me." - Psalm 51:10

It's Ash Wednesday today and in about an hour, I'll be in church.

It's not my usual church, where the band is loud and the smiles are big as we welcome people into the large sanctuary. We certainly honor Jesus there, with praise and worship and learning how to live more abundantly in His grace.

But today, I want quiet. I am seeking reflection. I am yearning for that soft, still voice - that whisper - from the Holy Spirit, that can only be heard in that moment of silent prayer.

Ash Wednesday.

A day of reflection. A day of repentance. A day when we realize how small we are - from dust to dust - compared to the awesome greatness of God.

On this day, I ran across something on Twitter that prompted me to write a post on Facebook. A post on holiness. Or the lack thereof. A post on the strength of God. And the weakness in all of us.
(See link below, and then keep reading)

A few years ago, a good friend of another faith called me on the carpet about my behavior in a particular situation. Her...
Posted by Linda W Perkins - Author & Speaker on Wednesday, February 10, 2016


On many a day, I seek to reflect Mardi Gras on my blog. I want to tell you how great life can be, despite whatever hurdles you and I may face, especially when we go to God for the joy only He can bring. It's what we all want, isn't it? To live life "like it's 1999"? We want abundance. Massive amounts of it, actually.

But while abundance is good, many times humility is better.

I am reminded today that while we are blessed to be called children of God, and as heirs, we can partake of the abundant life He gives us, we must never take His blessings for granted.

I must remember what Job said, "God gives and takes away."

The life I live must be lived with an attitude of gratitude. After all, it is a gift.

I must also remember what Jesus said, "Without me, you can do nothing."

I can do ALL things through Him, but nothing without Him. I am not the all powerful one. He is.

Today, whether or not your church provides a service or you receive ashes on your forehead, I invite you to partake in Ash Wednesday. To reflect on who you are. As a human. As His disciple.

Be still, and know He is God.

Does Your Life Reflect Mardi Gras or Ash Wednesday? originally appeared on Spring Sight blog, by Linda W. Perkins. Click here for more posts. Get even more encouragement by following me on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter

Many of Spring Sight's posts can also be found each week on Grace Esedeke's EncourageMe MondayCrystal Storms' #IntentionalTuesday,  Kelly Balarie's #RaRaLinkUp, Holly Barrett's Testimony Tuesday, Arabah Joy's Grace & Truth, Holley Gerth's Coffee for Your Heart,  and Woman to Woman's Word Filled Wednesday. This week, I am also linking up with Jennifer Dukes Lee


Subscribe to Spring Sight via e-mail
Subscribe to Spring Sight




We will never share your information with third parties.

7 comments:

  1. Great post. I wrote about Ash Wednesday over at my place too. Blessed to be your neighbor at Testimony Tuesday this week. Praying you have an Ash Wednesday filled with all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the concept of being still before God! Connecting with you through #raralinkup

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to spend time quiet before Him and hearing what He has to say. Thanks for this encouragement (Your neighbor at Holley's place)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so hard to stop some days. Have a blessed Lenten season, Rachel!

      Linda

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful reflection on allowing for quiet prayer and or humility and gratefulness to rise. I'm blessed you visited my blog today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete