Monday, February 6, 2017

God is Listening

"But in my distress I cried out to the Lord; yes, I prayed to my God for help.
He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears." - Psalm 18:6 (NLT)

As I look across this room today, I am sick of being sick. After battling an upper respiratory infection for weeks, with a cough that just won’t go away, on top of a painful shoulder and a sore foot, I am tired of hurting.

This is an unexpected feeling, because before Christmas, I was feeling pretty good. I felt like I was pretty much in remission with my RA, and I began a diet, hoping to get my pre-RA figure back.

Alas, with rheumatoid arthritis – or life in general, I guess - nothing is ever a straight line.

That is where trust comes in. Trust in myself? Ha, I wish. I’ve been down that road before, thinking that if I just try harder or work smarter, it will all work out. Unfortunately, I can’t control every facet of my life, the least of which is my chronic illness.

I don’t like being told I’m not in control. I am a linear thinker, which means I want to know that if I am in control of the input, then I can control the output. That isn’t real life, though, is it? There are so many variables, only a few of which I am really in control of.

I am fortunate to have found a good program, Pack Health, about a year ago, which set me on the path to taking better care of myself. I’ve been able to apply the strategies to my life and as a result, I feel much better overall. I’ve even begun writing blog pieces for them, so that others may benefit from my experience. That said, no program can prevent all the curveballs that autoimmune diseases can throw at us.

For me, the most frustrating aspect of living with RA is the inability to heal. I thought I was never going to recover from my shoulder surgery two years ago. I did, but not without a lot of hard work, some extra time, and only with the help of a DMARD (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug). I hadn’t needed to be on a DMARD before, but my doctor made it clear I would never fully recover the use of my shoulder without reducing the inflammation in my body. Wow, what a difference!

Yet here I am again, with the other shoulder’s torn rotator cuff…and despite months of physical therapy, it still hurts. And while I was just feeling good about a daily walk through the neighborhood with my husband, along comes a constant pain in the bottom of my foot. In between visits to my physical therapist, my rheumatologist and my primary care physician (for that pesky sinus infection), I might actually make it to the podiatrist. Joy…another new medical experience!

Not to sound like negative Nellie, but sometimes you just have to get real. You know what I mean?

I tell you why I’m sharing all of my frustrations here. It’s so you know that I understand where you’re at. I know exactly how it feels to be fed up. Or maybe we should call it “beat up” because sometimes that’s more like it, isn’t it? The pain is more than just physical; it’s emotional too. I don’t know about you, but there are days I just want to curl up in bed, throw the covers over my head, and quit.

You know what keeps me going, though? It’s that still, small voice that says “I’m not finished yet.”

Yes, I believe it when God says in Jeremiah 29:11 that He has a plan for my life and it’s a good one. I believe Him when He says He doesn’t start something He isn’t planning to finish. And somehow, I don’t think He’s done with me yet.

There are enough times in the Bible that God says “Do not fear…I will go with you” to let me know that even right now, while I’m ready to give up, He is with me, cheering me on. Sometimes, it’s seeing a news clip that makes me realize I’m really not so bad off after all, compared with them, anyway. At other times, it’s my daughter, who makes me smile and yet also makes me see how much she needs me. And when I look back over my life, I can see where God really has been there during the hard times, carrying me until I could get back on my feet and walk again.

I know that when I close my eyes and pray, my prayers are heard. He hears my cries. I know, because at some point, the pain stops – even if just for a few moments – and I can feel His peace and His presence.

Whatever you are struggling with today, whether it is chronic illness or something else, you can be confident in a God who loves you and cares for you. He hears your cries too and says, through the words of Jesus, “Come to me, lay down your burdens, and I will give you rest.”

Peace, love and joy to you today.

Linda

God is Listening originally appeared on Spring Sight blog, by Linda W. Perkins. Click here for more posts. Get even more encouragement by following me on Facebook and Twitter

Many of Spring Sight's posts can also be found each week on Crystal Storms' Thoughtful Thursday,  Kelly Balarie's #RaRaLinkUp, Holly Barrett's Testimony Tuesday, Holley Gerth's Coffee for Your Heart, and Woman to Woman's Word Filled Wednesday. I also link up often with Jennifer Dukes Lee and Dawn at Journeys in Grace, as well as with Lori Schumaker.


Subscribe to Spring Sight via e-mail



Subscribe to Spring Sight (make sure to reply to the confirmation email to complete your subscription)

9 comments:

  1. I believe that God has a plan for all of and I believe I am an actor in this great stage of life. Unfortunately, I am not playing the role i imagined for myself. Accepting that is the most difficult thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Rick. The dreams we have for ourselves don't always line up with God's plans very well, I'm afraid. But God works all things for good, bringing glory out of tragedy. You make a HUGE difference in the lives of others, Rick. Unfortunately, it is through the disease we both share. Your gift of RA Blog Week touches so many lives, including mine. I pray that God is blessing you in special ways too.

      Delete
  2. I am so grateful to our God for during the times that are filled with pain, sorrow, caregiving, and all else that I, and everyone else, goes through, we need Him, for He is so very faithful. I cannot tell you how many times I called out "How long, O Lord?" as I left the nursing home only to hear silence or a word of encouragement or a sense of peace and knew He was always with me. The aging process I am personally in now, the Fibromyalgia, the surgeries, and all else cause me to forget that He knows my all, and never leaves me. Praising Him. Thank you for your good word to my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, God never leaves us, even if it may feel like that at times. May he bless your day today!

      Delete
  3. Linda, Your ability to keep going and see God’s hand in your life in the midst of chronic pain is inspiring. He does give us rest on our journeys and He never leaves us. Thank you for that reminder today. May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie. I appreciate your encouragement! May you feel God's presence today.

      Delete
  4. Linda,

    Sometimes we need to vocalize the things that weigh heavily in order to see that our faith is still solidly active where we need it to be and we are only lining up the tools that have always been at our disposal. ( linear thinking!) I had been wrestling with something that wouldn't diminish and I found myself talking about it with a friend. I had the answer all along but hearing myself acknowledge it and being affirmed that my faith was not displaced helped me move that burden. Just like Matthew 11, come all who are weary and take up His yoke so he can take up ours. Praying for your healing and for the light on the horizon of better days. I understand chronic pain and somedays we just need a little perspective. Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you have a minute, I’d really appreciate it if you took a look at Emily’s Virtual Rocket. This is a serious newsblog which has been taken from e-newspapers and e-magazines from around the world, with an emphasis on transgender issues. Also, with his election, I look for articles which critique Donald Trump.

    I hope you enjoy this. Please paste the following:

    Emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot.com

    If you like it, please consider putting it among your favorite blogs. I would greatly appreciate it.


    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so amazed how people with chronic illnesses can also be the most faithful! Although you share your struggles, and they are many, you shine a light right through your pain to all of us reading. You give me hope. Not that I have physical challenge s, but life concerns are hitting me hard this week..and need to believe and hope in God. Thank you!

      Delete